Your diet plays a massive role what triggers your headaches/Migraines. To be honest, most health conditions have some connection to your diet and therefore it is necessary to keep an eye on what you put into your body depending on your various health conditions.
Avoid the following:
1. Aged food and drinks such as: Aged cheese, wine, dried fruit, cured meats (cured meats have tyramine which makes blood vessels constrict & expand causing pain.
2. Artificial sweetener, Yes this rules out all your sodas, drinks, juices cocktails, candy, etc. But it can be a serious trigger. Check the ingredients the next time you consume any of the above.
3. Additives. Especially MSG. This one is really bad. Used in a lot of chinese food, take out food and readily packaged meals. Look our for labels that say “No MSG” the next time you pick up something.
4. Alcohol. Everything from wine to beer to hard liquor. Unfortunately alcohol is a major trigger. Yes alcohol in excess gives everyone a headache at some point but for migraine sufferers this is just one of those things you need to quit if you want to have better quality of life. Alcohol contains tyramine, sulphates & nitrates, all which contribute to headaches.
Lastly to make things simpler, here is a brief list on foods which you should avoid if you suffer from chronic headaches.
• Ripened cheeses
• Marinated, pickled, or fermented food
• Foods that contain nitrites or nitrates (bacon, hot dogs) or MSG (soy sauce, meat tenderizers, seasoned salt)
• Sour cream
• Nuts, peanut butter
• Sourdough bread
• Broad beans, lima beans, fava beans, snow peas
• Figs, raisins, papayas, avocados, red plums
• Citrus fruits
• Excessive amounts (more than 2 cups total) of caffeinated beverages such as tea, coffee, or cola
• Alcohol (including red wine and beer)
Make the changes, don’t expect results in one week. Give it a couple of months, it’s really worth a shot.